Somerset West and Taunton Bike Project 2021
Matching donated bikes to those who need access to employment, training or education.
Using grant funding from Somerset West and Taunton Council and the Hinkley Point C Fund, Smart:
- set up a district-wide donor appeal bringing in 60 good quality bikes and additional kit such as panniers.
- identified recipients via the CCS Village Agents and Somerset Diverse Communities team, employment hubs, care leavers, Citizen’s Advice, relevant charities and social enterprises.
- organised for bikes to be repaired by a local qualified bike mechanic (giving employment to a small local business).
- matched bikes to recipients and supplied with safety equipment (helmet, locks, lights and reflective clothing).
The project evidenced clear improvements to health and wellbeing:
- Changing lives: 100% mental improvements – 40% changed significantly
- 100% physical health improvements – 27% changed significantly
- Bikes donated – 44 bikes now with new owners
- Job security – 64% are currently in employment
- Fitter futures – 97% use their bikes regularly. 52% use them daily.
- Pedal power – 14 miles – average people now cycle each week.
- Social value – £8.33 social value created for every £1 invested.
The success of this first phase allowed Smart to secure additional funding. A total of 112 bikes have now helped their new owners access employment, education and training.